Ways to Teach Children to Read
Things to do before, during and after reading a book to your child.
Things to do “BEFORE” you Read a Book:
- Read the title, author and illustrator’s name.
- Introduce and teach vocabulary words
Things to do “DURING” Reading a Book:
- Make predictions
- Ask questions
- Answer children’s questions
- Read with enthusiasm
- Use different voices
Things to do “AFTER” Reading a Book:
- Use sentence completion opportunities
- Do activities related to the book (retell the story, draw a picture, etc.)